Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Richard Rodriguez's "The Achievement of Desire"

   As I was reading Rodriguez's piece I found myself being able to relate to many of his experiences. For one, the line "[the scholarship boy] brings books into the house,they don't take their place with other books which the family are reading" caught my attention instantly because I can think of a point in my childhood when I was that "scholarship boy". When I was younger growing up in an immigrant, Hispanic family I considered myself at a disadvantage compared to other children my age. My parents couldn't read to me, help me with my homework, or even be in the PTA because of the language barrier. Although at the time I denied it I know realized that I resented them for quite some time because of the difficulties I faced in school. On the contrary to Rodriguez's parent's, my mother and father were always educated, however, once we moved to the United States, they had to support our family, leaving no time for reading or any other educated activities. As the first from my family going to college in the United States, I'm always celebrated at family reunions or Christmas parties. I am very familiar with the comment "your parents must be very proud of you" as Rodriguez is. As I grew older, I now realize that everything my parents did has gotten me to this point in my life. Although at first I might have felt like they weren't supportive, they always tried to give me the best life possible and I thank them for that. Unlike Rodriguez, I have a very positive relationship with both my mother and my father and I look up to them because they are exactly the type of parent I hope to someday be.

1 comment:

  1. Good personal connection. I'm glad the essay resonated with your experience. Perhaps you had never thought about how you denied that you initially resented them? Its hard to admit this conclusion.

    ReplyDelete